Tuesday 8 March 2011

Huh!? Vonnie's got some nuggets o' wisdom, you say?

I'm not gonna lie, a lot of those quotes were pretty over my head, and few of them just seem like him putting some big words together to try and make himself sound smart. But maybe that's just me not being as deep of a thinker as the rest of the wonderful, creative, and intelligent folks in the class.

ANYWAYS...one of the quotes that I do understand is the first one. "Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae." A little connection I could make to the book would be an angry Roland Weary picking on an ill-equipped, semi-clueless, cold and tired Billy Pilgrim. Weary was all at someone who didn't do anything wrong to him. He is mad about some terrible things going on in his life and he needs a handy little target to take his anger out on.

I've had times in my life where I put on my armor and attacked a few defenseless hot fudge sundaes. The names of a few notable sundaes I've attacked are The Mayor of Casterbridge, Much Ado About Nothing, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I've realized over the last year that attacking books doesn't do me or anybody else much good. It might feel so good and fun to vent about how far over my head those books are and how messed up their plots (or lack of plots) are and how weird and obscure the symbolism and themes and ideas is in those books are, but pleasure and anger release seems to be the only benefit. And that seems to be the only benefit for Roland attacking Billy. And that seems to be the only benefit for a dude in armor beating on a stupid little sundae!

No comments:

Post a Comment